[Bradford] Formatting micro SD for Raspberry Pi

Moanin moanin at mikegoodman.uk
Mon Mar 15 22:50:09 UTC 2021

Hi John,

That's got me perplexed! Is the 32768 the bs=1M multiple? Each time an
SD card is formatted it loses some space. These two are now down to
29.??gb (the older one) and 31.?? (the new one). Which raises the
question: do we need to stipulate the size, or, as I suspect, isn't it
just as good to let whichever utility supply a default, which should be
the end of the disc?

Alternatively, is 32768 the number of blocks in a section? That amounts
to 4gb and is the size of the sections which were causing the problems
earlier.

Or does 32768 simply state a maximum limit for the dd command?

The original dd command was:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress
which gave me a constant update of, well, progress.

Now this has popped up in the browser (well I did do a search):
https://www.iottechtrends.com/format-sd-card-for-raspberry-pi/
the implication of which appears to be that the dd command for
installing the image will implement the partitioning, too.

That looks attractive, in part because of its simplicity. It also shows
me that I neglected to unmount the card before formatting it during the
earlier efforts.

But will it work? It implies using dd for the whole process.

TIA,

Mike