[Bradford] Formatting micro SD for Raspberry Pi

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 16 20:55:34 UTC 2021

Hi folks

It is a *terrible* *terrible* *terrible* idea to "clean" SD cards in
this way. They have a limited number of write cycles. You're just
destroying the card for no benefit. Same goes for any other flash
based tech -- old USBs, eMMC, ssd, nvme.

If you have a used SD card and you want a complete re-do, start with
dd'ing the os image again. Pre-zeroing the whole thing with dd before
that is simply using up all the write cycles for nothing and likely to
end in an unusable card.

Cheers
-D.