[Bradford] For all System-D Love-to-Haters

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Sun May 2 15:09:04 UTC 2021

Um so it appears this is some non-systemd totally unrelated crap that isn't
even an exploit. It's no more the fault of systemd than those scam calls
from 'Microsoft support' are Microsoft's fault.

But No! you might think. Those calls are, in a sense, actually Microsoft's
fault for creating a context in which end users are simultaneously
bamboozled by complexity and infantilised.

And so it's the same with systemd. It hasn't got a process named
'systemd-daemon'. Superficially, it's not systemd's fault when some
unrelated malware steals systemd's name. Yet can anyone name all the
possible legitimate components and processes run by each successive version
of systemd? There are so many, and they're continuing to multiply. And
*that's* the 'in' for the malware.

Cheers
-D.