[Chester LUG] SkyOS

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 7 19:59:23 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 09:15, Les Pritchard wrote:
> Has anyone used SkyOS for anything useful?  I've just been looking at their
> new BranchFS, which looks interesting in concept.  Having never played with
> SkyOS I was just wondering if anyone has had any good / bad experiences
> with it.

Hello Les,

I took a brief look a few years ago, when I was rounding-up the so-called
successors to BeOS. However:

From the FAQ:
> Does SkyOS use X Server, XFree86 or another X system?
> SkyOS uses its own GUI system called "SkyGI", which is integrated into the
>  kernel. This system has nothing to do with X or XFree86, and is not based
>  on either of these systems or their forks.

Hm, integrated into the kernel - not a good idea :-/

> Is SkyOS a commercial operating system?
> Yes. When it is officially released to the public, SkyOS will be a
commercial
> operating system.

I think they mean proprietary...

> Is SkyOS open-source?
> No. SkyOS is a closed-source operating system.

...see :-(

So, nothing worth distracting me from Syllable, Haiku, *BSD,
GNU/*, FreeDOS, or the remains of OS/2. =oP

As to the BranchFS
http://www.skyos.org/?q=node/582
well, we won't get to see the code to learn from it :-(

Sorry to sound so negative, it's just that I don't understand the
thinking behind non-free software :-/

Pob hwyl,

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                    richard at sc.lug.org.uk