[Chester LUG] setting the default application for a particular file mime type in gnome.

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Tue Oct 10 15:48:09 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 16:19, Paul Sinclair wrote:
> David Holden wrote:
> >Anyone know how to associated a particular application with a file mime
> > type for nautilus/gnome.
> >
> >e.g.
> >
> > file.xxx
> >

> >It seems you can do "open with" then choose a custom application but it
> > does not seem to give you the option to make this the default action.
> >
> >  thanks,
> >
> >         Dave.
>
> In nautilus try right click the file, go to properties and then the open
> with tab. There must be a configuration file somewhere.
> Hope that helps.
> Paul

Unfortunately this does it for all files of type "plain/text" I just want to
change the associated application for files of type ".xxx".

Gnome seems to assume that all files that it does not know the mime type of
are type "Plain/text" so If I change the default application of "file.xxx"
where gnome does not know the ".xxx" suffix it changes the default
application for all text/plain files.

Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.