[Chester LUG] What do you guys do with old hardware

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 12:28:57 UTC 2006

Seems a simple question really, but where I work I we PAY some person to
take away all our "old" machines.

I currently have a few knocking round and it seems a pity for them to go
into landfill because at the end of the day they are still good machines,
but they have gotten bit rot etc and slowwwweeeed right down. Nothing a
format and a light windows manager wouldnt cure

The specs of the machines that I *may* - subject to company approval be
getting rid of are:

4/5 Compaq Ipaqs, ranging from P2-450s to P3 800s with memory and hard
drives
1 HP P3 450
1 PowerEdge 450 with ~30 GB RAID array

There may even be the following depending if our upgrade over the next few
weeks goes to plan
1 Dual Xeon 1 GHz/1Gb RAM/19GB RAID 5 array 2u Rackmount
1 PowerEdge 4300 450Mhz with ~30 GB RAID array with tape drive

Problem that I have is, i use freecycle for most stuff, but unfortunatly
with the PCs you either get a) well intentioned newbs who doent understand
IT at all and feel they have a right to phone you up at 9pm because program
"coolgame.exe" doesnt work or b) people take the stuff I gave for free (ie a
few p3 machines, printers etc ) and sell them on ebay !