[Chester LUG] What do you guys do with old hardware

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 27 16:16:01 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 13:28, Stuart Burns wrote:
> Seems a simple question really, but where I work I we PAY some person to
> take away all our "old" machines.
[snip]
> There may even be the following depending if our upgrade over the next few
> weeks goes to plan
> 1 Dual Xeon 1 GHz/1Gb RAM/19GB RAID 5 array 2u Rackmount
> 1 PowerEdge 4300 450Mhz with ~30 GB RAID array with tape drive

Hello Stuart,

I'm setting up a new social enterprise which will collect old IT kit like
this, train unemployed adults to install GNU/Linux and other Free
Software on it, and supply it to community projects and families
without computers in deprived areas.

We will be launching at the end of January (give or take a few weeks),
but I am trying to sort out storage before then so that we can start
accepting equipment donations.

I am happy to talk about this on- or off-list with any interested parties. :-)

 - Richard

--
Richard Smedley,                                         Richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant,