[Chester LUG] What do you guys do with old hardware

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 27 16:20:10 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 15:29, Roger Gibson wrote:
> Looks like I'm too busy to come tonight, but as some of you may have
> gathered I'm involved with a Chester charity, CHAPTER, and having been
> offered very cheap legit Windoze software at charity rates, am resigned
> to sticking with MS XP for now as that is what the 'workers'
> understand.

Hello Roger,

For the past year I've been installing Free Software desktops
for voluntary groups in Shrops and Staffs. My experience is that
a little training is enough for most users - with only Windows
``power'' users remaining disoriented. The Ingots are a
great certification to go with the training - meaning volunteers
are rewarded for their help.

Extra training for whoever normally gets asked IT questions
in the office also drastically reduces support calls.

 - Richard

--
Richard Smedley,                                         Richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Sustainable IT Consultant,