[Chester LUG] Can anyone help

Roger Gibson rcgibson at talktalk.net
Sun Sep 3 13:41:00 UTC 2006

I brought my young friend Patrick to Thursday's meet in Chester.  He is
a total Linux novice, but is showing interest and looks to be getting
stuck in.  He has a laptop with Windows mounted and tried first a Mepis
live CD I got from a recent Linux Format.

So that he could work with good documentation for his first
installation, I gave him a Susi 9.1 distro, complete with a couple of
thick tomes.  He has got this running OK since Thursday, but is now in
trouble, and I'm not suffiently adept myself to help him over the phone.

I don't think he defragmented his disc before loading Susi, so may have
lost some windows stuff (not sure how clever the Susi partitioner is).
Anyway, to shorten a long story, he used his Mepis live CD to
repartition for a second time to give himself more windows disc space,
and is now having trouble with the bootloader, and cannot run anything,
except the Mepis live distro.  He is backed up, but I'm not sure if he
has all the necessary to reload Windows, or how illegit it is.

If anyone thinks they can help, please 'e'mail me and I'll put you in
touch with Patrick.  I'd like to get a school lad keen on Linux, and I
think he might well get some of his mates interested if he can get going
well.

Many thanks - Roger.