[Chester LUG] Webmin

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 22:40:39 UTC 2006

Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> Anybody out here uses webmin?
> I have installed it onto my server but wondering why i have installed
> it in the first place.
> Probably when i get up tomorrow i will have a better idea.

Why as in what it does or why you'd use it?

if you go to http://hostname:10000 you should get a web page. You might
have to start the service or, if you get errors about unauthorised IP
you need to look in /etc/webmin/miniserve.conf and add your IP.

Personally I don't really like Webmin and prefer to manage config files
manually but I guess it could have its uses if you wanted to manage a
server remotely from somewhere that only had web access and not ssh
(with webmin setup to use HTTPS of course).

George