[Chester LUG] Python

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 06:55:23 UTC 2007

Any Python users....

-----------------------------------

PYCON UK 2007 - FIRST PYTHON COMMUNITY CONFERENCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

The first UK community conference for Python will be held in
Birmingham on Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th of September 2007.

PyCon UK is the young upstart counterpart to PyCon in the US. There
will be talks, lightning talks, tutorials and social get-togethers. If
you have a Python based free/open-source project and want to run a
sprint or group meetup, before or after the conference, we have the
facilities for that too.

The conference is aimed at all members of the Python community,
whether you're just starting or you dream in bytecode.

Please visit <http://www.pyconuk.org> for more information. The
Booking Form and Talk submissions system are available now.

PyCon UK is being organised by the PyCon UK Society, you can contact
us at < news at pyconuk.org >

Why should I care about Python as a Linux user?

Python is available by default in all major distributions, and you can
access more or less all parts of the GNU/Linux system from Python,
everything from Gnome/KDE, through to packages management systems,
processes, command line utilities, as well, of course by running on
Apache as a web application. Code you write in Python on Linux will
also work on proprietary systems.

I have never done programming before?

Do not worry, just come anyway, we are having special
sessions/tutorials for beginners, so it is the perfect time for you to
get your feet wet. Python is one of the easiest languages to learn,
and unlike most other very high-level languages, you are not painting
yourself into a corner, you can create web applications, desktop
applications and bash scripts.

How expensive is this conference?

Cheap. We have made it as cheap as we can so hobbyists and students
can afford to come. PyconUK is going to be a not for profit community
conference, early bird rates are heavily subsidised at just £50 for
the two days, and that includes all the extras (conference dinner,
T-shirt, goodie bag and so on). The main cost of going to a conference
is accommodation, and we have really good value hotels in Birmingham,
the official conference hotel is just £35 a night for a room sleeping
3. More expensive options are available, most of the major hotels are
within walking distance from the conference. More details at <
http://www.pyconuk.org >.