[Chester LUG] August Meet and other info

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 13:03:58 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

Firstly a reminder that the next Chester LUG meet is being held next
Thursday 30th in the Old King's Head as usual (7pm onward).

Secondly, I am really happy to note that this meet will be the first
birthday of the LUG!  Yes it was a year ago that the first meet was held at
the Old Harkers pub on August 31st.  I was really pleased with the turnout
at the time and the continued attendance of meets has made me even happier.
Seeing the troubles other LUGs have had, it has been fantastic to have a
good regular turnout to the meets.  Thanks very much for all your
participation so far.

Here's a mini 'State of the LUG address' :-)

So far, as I've said, we have had a successful run on LUG meets that I hope
will continue.  I know that there are quite a few people registered on this
mailing list who do not attend the LUG due to distance or other personal
factors.  Thanks for being on the list anyway - I know that the mailing list
is relatively quiet, but that should hopefully grow (think a lot of members
prefer talking over a pint and not a keyboard!).  We're a friendly bunch, so
feel free to contribute anything to the mailing list; comments, opinions or
questions (we may not have the answer - but we'll never flame you!).

Now onto my ideas / plans for the near future:

1. The idea has come up in meets of organising days out to techie events or
interesting attractions.  I think this would be a great idea, so any
suggestions of where we could go are most welcome.

2. Now that we have a good regular membership base, I'd like to look into
some events like Install Fests, or similar 'bring along technology' events.
Any potential venue suggestions would be great.

3. The website, yes I apologise for the tardy up keep of the website!  It
has been more of a placeholder recently.  I have an alternative site in the
works and with my life getting back on track, should have that up in the
very near future.

4. Leading on from this, as part of the new website I'm planning on adding
Wiki and Blogs sections.  All members will be welcome to post to the blogs
with their experiences, problems and opinions on anything Linux / Open
Source.  If you're interested in having a blog, get in contact with me.

So thanks very much for all your contributions over the past year and I'm
sure that the LUG can only get stronger.

See you on Thursday!

Les