[Chester LUG] MSc in open source technology

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 20 19:55:11 UTC 2007

> I did actually take a look at the LPI etc. I think really it is
> better to go for some general Linux skills. Just it would have been
> nice to get the MSc too, but then again, im sure I can find some use
> for all the money I save, including the travel, new gadget or three
> perhaps.

If you want an MSc, and an interesting course, how about:
http://www.comp.brad.ac.uk/courses/courses.php/pg/mscfc/

Or possibly
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate-taught/degree_info/msc-csec/

Some of the MSc modules available at the OU are quite interesting
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/classifications/information_technology_and_computing.shtm
if you are the kind of person who can study at home after a hard
day's work.

However, as pointed out elsewhere, LPI is more practical than most
academic courses, and none are a substitute for real experience -
it all depends upon why you want to do the course.

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
                                              A PRINCE2 aware company

Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail
M6-IT CIC ``Software Freedom for the Education and Voluntary Sector''

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT