[Chester LUG] Eye Candy

Fintan Gaughan fgaughan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 11:50:00 UTC 2007

Hello everyone hope you all recovered well from New Year celebrations.

Right now I am setting up my computer so it will show some eye candy.
I find that people are more interested in Linux when showing what's
cool and to be honest people upgrade say xp to vista as it shows some
eye candy. And sadly most people are work are willing to upgrade till
I showed a video of my desktop. Using a session desktop recorder
called Istanbul
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Istanbul-12358.shtml  luckily
I had vlc at my work desktop on windows xp to show my Linux desktop to
view as it was a .DAT  format. I was able to show some of the affects
like below on this link (please note its not my desktop on youtube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3UPnriIxc
seeing that and they took away 3 ubunto cds

Does anybody know how to change or know of a different desktop
recording program so I can convert it to windows media file. As I want
to email it to people and in turn they may forward others just to show
what Linux can do. Also so I can upload it to you tube and my blog can
link to it as you tube only accept QuickTime .MOV, Windows .AVI, or
.MPG formats.

Also do you know any links like step by step to make desktop look cool
looking at http://www.kde-look.org  some of the stuff I have
downloaded does not work instructions are not very good there.

Fintan