[Chester LUG] Using Linux to set file rights in Windoze XP

Roger Gibson rcgibson at talktalk.net
Fri Jan 26 13:29:02 UTC 2007

Sorry if this offends, but I've been here before as some might remember.

Can one (perhaps using cygwin) use Linux to set read/write/execute
permissions to files running under MS XP pro.  XP pro seems to say that,
if you want to see files within a work group on another machine, they
have to be in shared directories.

I am helping a small charity (I lost the Linux option) with a small work
group on XP Pro and there is no facility I can find to set file or
directory (folder) rights.  Without going to the complication of a
server (I would have to support it etc and am not always around) we
would like to be able to set the read/write/execute for
user/group/anyone permissions for fairly high level directories which
get passed down to all files/directories created under them, and do not
get subsequently changed by the Windows operating system (NTFS).

Is this possible?

How do I do it?

Is it robust?

At present my solution is to say -

'If it is private, do it in your own area, and back it up yourself
locally, otherwise do not meddle with stuff in public directories that
is not yours, just take a copy first and then meddle'

The problem is that, without a server etc, I can not see a way of being
able to go through a wireless router to another PC/laptop to private
files, or to have a full scheduled back-up system.