[Chester LUG] Is it me or is Vista rather poor?

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:45:35 UTC 2007

This morning I had the misfortune of setting up a new laptop for a user, a
nice Sony Vaio VGN ultra portable. Lovely laptop. Then I booted Vista and
then it all went to pot.

I'm quite gobsmacked at how poor Vista is. Here am I, a Windows SA of over a
decade of playing with these things and it has taken me 2.5 hours to get
updates installed and clicking yes everytime I want to do something. Its so
different to old windows, and as a windows user I actually found it quite
hard to use and configure. God forbid I was a normal user. Now I like XP, XP
is (fairly) straightforward but this Vista, its a retrograde step. Nothing
is working the same as it used to! Oh and booting with under a gig of ram is
not so good! Its all toys for toys sake and as for the security model? To my
mind it would have been better if they had a Windows Administrator account,
that has to be logged into, and as I logged into it as Admin, I kinda know
what I want to do, not to have the bloody PC second guess everything I do.

Anybody else finding the same thing ? It makes me ever more thankful of
ubuntu at home !