[Chester LUG] Is it me or is Vista rather poor?

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 20:07:06 UTC 2007

Stuart Burns wrote:
> Anybody else finding the same thing ? It makes me ever more thankful of
> ubuntu at home !

Depends how you look at it - if you wonder whether it's "better" than XP
then I'd say probably. There are a couple of nice things I've noticed in
  places like Explorer, Task Manager etc. which are an improvement. I
also quite like the GUI changes - not especially the "shiney" but more
that the text on screen seems crisper. I also prefer the chess game to
solitaire.

None of this is revolutionary* but then again that's not really
important to Microsoft as long they provide a backwardly compatible
platform upon which software can run; the changes are just window dressing.

George

* Actually one thing I did find revolutionary - the Voice control. I
admit not having used anything like Dragon Dictate for years but turning
on the voice control and being able to say, without training "open
notepad" and have it appear was impressive. Of course I can't see a
practical use of this technology - not until my laptop can produce hot
earl gray anyway...