[Chester LUG] VMware question

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 10:06:43 UTC 2007

Tim White wrote:
> Where does the guest OS (Windows) actually physically live? Do I need to allow
> space in my / partition for it? If I do that, doesn't it mean that if I
> install a different host OS (Linux distro) then I would also wipe the guest
> OS? So could the guest OS live elsewhere, like in /home or even in its own
> partition? All advice gratefully received!

For each Virtual Machine VMWare creates a directory and within that
directory are image files that contain the contents of any hard disks on
the virtual machine. By default these are stored under /home but you can
tell VMWare to make them anywhere - or backup, copy, move etc. the
directory after they're created.

Also, as you've mentioned you're using a laptop you may find you have
issues with the clock going out of sync on the virtual machine because
it thinks that the laptop is running at 2000mhz so when it downscales to
1000mhz it only runs 1 second tick per 2 real ticks if you see. There's
a load of stuff about this on the VMWare forums but I just found it
easier to rebuild the kernel on the host without the scaling support.

George