[Chester LUG] which programming language

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:56:10 UTC 2007

Here at work I have been given a task of building a program that does
general house keeping tasks on an image gallary (several gigs of images, all
mundane im afraid ;) ).

So I went and broke out the old pascal compiler, and realised it was so
1980s (which is when I last used it ;) ) and that it wouldn't cut it. I need
to create an image gallary, but none of the ones availabe either a) Do what
we want or b) too flakey/too many "toy" features

Looking around I do need to learn a bit about programming as it stands atm.
I am not a *good* programmer, I just tend to hack bits together. However I
have several programs to help me here that I have concieved that would do
general admin task but I don't know what language is going to be best to
write them in and theres no way on this earth im going to touch .Net !

I was thinking Perl, but its just so "strange" or maybe Java. I'm not really
doing anything fancy but I really want to get coding. I did some very very
basic Java back at Uni, but its all forgotten now, although I do remember
about Objects, inheritance etc etc.

Any advice ?