[Chester LUG] Getting files off a sata hard drive

Roger Gibson rcgibson at talktalk.net
Sat Oct 6 20:09:31 UTC 2007

Hi folks.

I'm in a fix and trying to go off next week.

At a Charity I help, a 9 month old PC has gone down totally dead,
although there is a light showing inside.  I can set about sorting this
through suppliers, but I need to get some files off the hard drive very
quick, like tomorrow or v early on Monday.  It is a Windoze machine, but
I done similar things off a sick machine using a live Knoppix CD.  I did
not realise how easy it is to get Word files etc off the fixed hard
disc.  Shows how necessary it is to use encryption with Windows.

However this machine is dead dead.  I've tried on Patrick's (he is the
young lad who came with me a couple of times, and is now a total Linux
convert) home made machine, which uses IDE as /hda1 etc, but has SATA
sockets, but I can not get the bios to see the SATA drive.  Anyone any
ideas.  I've no access to any other SATA machines, but if anyone near
Chester can help me out, either with advice as to how to do it on
Patrick's machine, or could spare half an hour tomorrow to try on their
own set up, I would be very grateful.  I'll drive anywhere within
Cheshire.  Then I can make a copy of the files on to CD, DVD or
whatever, and put on a laptop at the Charity, and go off for a few days
holiday and sort stuff out when I get back.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful, or know of a helpful computer
techie, please give me a call  01829 720283 or 07764 186942.

And yes I do preach about back ups, but they turned off the remote back
up drive, and did nothing else about it.

The one 'shop' I did get to before it shut, I got a load of talk about
problems with security etc on Windows, designed to stop moving hardware
around.  When I produced my Knoppix live CD he flinched and said he had
heard of Linux, and that it could do clever things, but he could not
afford to lose his Microsoft Accreditation.