[Chester LUG] Help with runlevels

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Tue Apr 8 10:57:31 UTC 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008, Stuart Burns wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I have what most of you must consider a  really basic question.
>
> Obviously when a machine boots, it reads inittab. This tells it which
> runlevel to use.
>
> However, when executing, does it go through all the runlevels. Ie if I run
> a full level 5 system, does it execute runlevels 234 to get there or does
> it just run the script for level 5 ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Stuart

 Good question, not really sure, although Logically I would expect it to go
through all run levels up to 2 as this is the point at which it reaches multi
user mode.

You could test by setting a service to run in level 3 and not in 5 and reboot,
if you are set to default to 5 and the server is running then it must have
gone through 3.

Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.