[Chester LUG] Sharing a drive

Rob Malpass lug at getiton.myzen.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 12:50:17 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Williams
To: chester at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 4:02 PM
Subject: [Chester LUG] Sharing a drive

Hi again.  I have hooked up a PC to my broadband connection via a wired
connection.  It is attached to the same router as my PC downstairs.  Both
systems use Ubuntu 8.04.  The one downstairs has an external hd connected
via USB.  Can I share it so it can be easily be accessed upstairs?  If so,
how?

Ta

Paul

Miss your Messenger buddies when on-the-go? Get Messenger on your Mobile!

There are (I think) another couple of ways of doing this:
1) Mount your USB HD however suits you

mount -t smbfs //drivenameid /wherever [I assume smbfs if the drive has ever
been near a Windows box]

Then you can either make it available via smb.conf - or (far easier) you can
sftp to the box the drive's mounted on and get at it from there.

2) There's quite a "nifty" device called a SLUG.   I bought a Netgear NSLU2
at Christmas for about £50.   Essentially it's a network device that has a
couple of usb ports.   You plug the drive into the SLUG, plug the SLUG into
your router, setup your shares through its web interface and hey presto -
you have a NAS drive that you can leave on so you don't need to boot up the
PC with the attached HD to get at it.   I use this as my backup server
because I know I can just attach bigger and bigger drives to it - so it's
marginally preferable to a NAS device which is of fixed size.

One thing to bear in mind though - the SLUG I bought was a bit naff until I
flashed the firmware.   Even now, it's still a little slow to respond - but
it sounds like it would fit the bill.

Cheers
Rob