[Chester LUG] Fwd: [lugmaster] [S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk: [admin] [Feedback] Press Release - Prostesters to Picket Shareholders at BT PLC AGM]

Michael Crilly e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 14:33:20 UTC 2008

Hi David,

Excellent points indeed and you've helped me understand your point better. I
can see where you're coming from and sure, every human has a fundamental
desire for privacy at some level in their lives. However, my entire "I have
nothing to hide" argument really relates to Phorm. People don't like the
idea of Phorm simply because it monitors what they do and they feel that
will be used against them, i.e. prosecute them for illegally obtaining
music.

I understand systems can fail and computers can be wrong - a computer does
what's told by a human and human error is a fact of life - but still the
chances remain very low that this would even happen. I could be hit by a bus
whilst walking to the shops tomorrow... should I not go to the shops or find
an alternative route/form of transport? Perhaps others have been hit by your
£60 fine analogy and just shrugged it off because their lives are too busy -
I guess that is a serious flaw - but I ask you this: what can you do about
it? Leave the country? Complain about it?

When something like Phorm hits our lives it deeply affects a lot of people
and as such it causes public outrage and very firm and stiff letters to be
written to the relevant parties. My whole view on this is not what Phorm
does, but the way it has gone about testing and implementing its self thus
far -- illegally.

On 6/1/08, David Holden <dh at iucr.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 01 June 2008, Michael Crilly wrote:
> > I don't close my blinds/curtains - again it boils down to personal
> > preference. If someone comes onto my property to look through my
> windows...
> > well, my father is ex-special forces and a very large man - I'll say no
> > more.
>

> The point here was that personal privacy is a fundamental human need, I
> suspect that even in your case there are boundaries of personal privacy
> beyond which despite you doing nothing illegal you would not want others to
> cross, also people should not have to resort to ex-special forces relatives
> to defend their personal privacy ;-)
>

> > The biometric information isn't absolute, though. They can't say, "OK
> well,
> > your biometric ID matches a crime committed in London" - I've never been
> > London... ever. The crime would need to be commitment in my area, whilst
> > I'm present, not to mention the other facts of the case. Biometric/DNA
> > evidence isn't absolute, it's merely accepted in court.
>

> The point here of course isn't that you would not ultimately be able to
> prove
> your innocence but that through faulty surveillance information you may
> have
> to prove your innocence.
>
> One of the risks of mass surveillance is that because of failures of design
> and use combined with the possibility of massive trawling is that many
> people
> will be faced with the prospect of guilty until proven innocent rather than
> vica versa.
>
> One of the main coming issues here will be for low grade "crimes", e,g. the
> computer says you were illegally driving in the bus lane Friday morning,
> you
> have two alternative pay a 60 pounds fine or go to court and risk a 1000
> pound fine, lots of folk with busy lives will just take the hit rather than
> risking a 1000 pound fine to prove that the systems is at fault.
>

> > I can be held without charge for 28-42 days without charge - but only
> under
> > the terrorism act; and act of, or involvement in, terrorism has to be
> > proven.
>

> As I demonstrated by my example of the misuse of RIPA, laws brought in
> under
> the guise of serious crime often get use for much less serious crimes or
> (non
> crimes).  I'm sure we all remember the disgraceful episode of 82 year old
> Walter Wolfgang being detained under the anti terrorism act after being
> ejected from the labour party conference for shouting "nonsense" during
> Jack
> Straw's speech.
>

> > No disrespect, but both you and Paul have gone to extremes to prove
> > an already perfectly valid point that I understand and accept - Phorm
> > invades your privacy.

> [...]

M. T. Crilly
http://www.mcrilly.co.uk/