[Chester LUG] A Gnome issue

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 20:49:36 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am running suse 11.1 on quad core 64bit. I decided to give Gnome a bash,
as I installed it on my E6400 and it's really good. On this machine though I
have two problems.

Firstly compared to KDE, Gnome is super slow. I updated to latest but it's
still really really REALLY slow. The video card is a 1GB Nvidia 9500GT. It
runs 2 HP 24" monitors, but even Vista isn't slow, or KDE, just gnome.

I installed the latest Nvidia drivers from their site and ran the Nvidia
config program and it works fine, detects it all ok.  Also done a zypper up
and everything is current as it where.

The other problem, that may or may not be related is that when I am running
Firefox, and move it from one monitor to the other, if I do a search in the
google bar, the actual drop down combo box appears as though firefox where
still in the old window, even 10 minutes after I move windows.

Anyone one got any idea re the problem with video display or general
slowness?

Cheers

Stu