[Chester LUG] Filesystems

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Sun Feb 22 15:52:50 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009, Les Pritchard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's been a while since I've read up on the particulars on the many
> filesystems out there.  So I was wondering if anyone can anyone recommend
> the best filesystem for running 1TB and above filesystems?  It's on an
> Ubuntu server and the disk(s) will be primarily for fileserving and VM
> hosting (so will most probably be large files).  Have you had experiences
> good or bad with particular filesystems?
>
> Les

Nice article on ext(n)

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-anatomy-ext4/index.html?ca=drs-

Possible on interest:

The second extended file system (ext2), also implemented by Remy Card, was
introduced in January 1993. It adopted advanced ideas from other file systems
of the day (such as the Berkeley Fast File System [FFS]). Ext2 extended
supported file systems of 2TB in size, although 2.6 kernels extended the
maximum size of ext2 file systems to 32TB.

Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.