[Chester LUG] Tech meet

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:39:09 UTC 2009

Yeah a great meet I thought and a really good venue. Thanks to everyone for
participating. I was gonna write a quick blog post on the LUG blog today
with a couple of my badly out of focus pictures but Les has beaten me to it
hehe :) So I'll just add the pics later. I'm definitely interested in trying
out some of the stuff we discussed, particularly OpenVZ and ZFS. I haven't
used Git really yet but I should try that too.

I still reckon Bazaar (bzr) might be worth a look for those interested in
version control, just as another option or comparison really. It's similar
to Git but claims be more user friendly, a bit like the "Linux for human
beings" slogan you'd expect from Canonical. I don't know how successful or
powerful it is in comparison to Git as I don't do many large coding projects
these days. It's written in Python so may be slower on large code
repositories but I can't say, worth experimenting with I think -
http://bazaar-vcs.org/

I'm not buying that business of Git standing for "global information
tracker". I reckon Linus knew what he was doing with that name and someone's
come up with the acronymn afterwards to explain it, a bit like GIMP and all
the other weird names we get in free software.

See you next month

Dan