[Chester LUG] Barcamp Liverpool

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 00:08:55 UTC 2009

The event was pretty good overall, I had a good time and met some
interesting folks but there was quite a proprietary feel to it I'd say. It
was sponsored by Microsoft and all the competition prizes were copies of
Vista. The MS guys were nice enough and I tried to talk to them but always
seemed to be getting a sales pitch on why closed software is better, I was
wearing a Linux t-shirt and handing out Linux Outlaws cards all the time
though. I think they thought I was going to attack them which I wasn't, they
probably get that a lot :)

There were some great sessions and it was worth going as I said. I like to
meet people from outside our relatively small FLOSS circle who have
different perspectives. There was also a lot of iPhone dev stuff as quite a
few of the attendees were mobile developers. A few folks from the Liverpool
LUG were there and others had even traveled from London. I think they said
there were about 120 people there in the end. The organisers worked really
hard and I'm glad it went well for them. There's already talk of another one
being arranged for the future so keep an eye out for that.

Hope that helps a bit, cheers

Dan