[Chester LUG] Are redhat taking the proverbial.

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 17:51:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:44 PM, David Holden <dh at iucr.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 November 2009 11:26:22 Andrew Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:02:19AM +0000, David Holden wrote:
> > > Server : Microsoft Windows Sever 2003 SP2 (x86)
> > > Client : Internet Explorer 6 and later
> > > .NET 3.5sp1
> > > Microsoft Windows XP
> > > Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or 2008
> >
> > IIRC RHEVM was bought in from another company with the idea to port it
> over
> >  to Linux sometime "soon".
> >

> Pretty pathetic though, not only are they quoting prices that don't include
> buying the windows license they're now selling proprietary software.

I agree, that's pretty shocking for one of the worlds biggest Linux vendors.
Even more so when you consider how much time and money they spend
campaigning against Microsoft in the European Parliament. They keep it quiet
that they're actually pushing Microsoft products themselves. I suppose at
least Novell slap you in the face with their MS promotion deals. I
understand business is business and if Red Hat can make money by selling
products that require Windows they will. I just wish they were a little more
up front and honest about it.