[Chester LUG] LUG Social

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:58:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Joe Foy <joe.foy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to be too busy to make it this month, but I do have a
> question. Someone has asked me to put a bigger hard-drive in their PC,
> but they want it to be the one with the operating system on, so my
> question is which free software cloning tools will allow me to clone
> and resize a partition the easiest?

Hi Joe,

I like Clonzilla for these sorts of jobs myself. The LiveCD usually does the
trick. It basically uses dd and other Unix tools in the background, as
Michael suggested. It may be a bit more user friendly though, the interface
is pretty good. I know it will clone and move images between drives or
partitions of different sizes no problem, provided there's room on the
target location of course.

http://clonezilla.org/

That would be my suggestion, but perhaps someone else knows of something
better. I wouldn't claim to be an expert. Good luck with it!

Dan