[Chester LUG] Networking Course

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:33:41 UTC 2010

Dear All,

It's very very short notice but you may remember I mentioned a few months
ago about a networking course. This is also the second send because the
system ate the first one.Apologies to Les if he ends up releasing the
original.

Well things have just crept up on me and I think it may well be this weekend
(Sat 6th).

There are two caveats to this! Firstly, it will be held at Technium cast in
Bangor (http://www.techniumcast.com/joomla/) The train will get you there if
you do not drive. The Chester to Bangor leaves at 6.50 in the morning and
will get you there for 7.45am. It is then just a short bus ride down the
road. Cost of the return ticket is ~£25. It may be cheaper bought in
advance.

Secondly, no food or drink is provided. We have very graciously been offered
the room for minimal cost, which im afraid does not include either lunch or
refreshments, so it's a case of BYO (Bring Your Own). There is a canteen
there, but I cannt gaurentee it will be open! I will find out and clarify
this.

The course is a one day course, taught by Dr Rob Shepard. He teaches
networking and system management at Bangor University and is very good at
explaining it all in simple terms to simple folk such as myself ;) I would
go so far as to say exceptional in both skills and training.

It will run from 9am until 5pm ish. (With a few stragglers wanting to play
and ask more questions etc I suspect it may be nearer 6)

The course itself will cover the following:

Networking, including subnetting, and the theory behind it (ie ISO model,
ARP,RARP, MAC addressing etc as well as high level views)

Routing, Introducing routing and how inter lan routing works. Building on
the previous topic.

Switching AND VLANS. This topic will cover both the fundamentals of
switching as well as more practical parts, such as using wireshark to look
into what is happening in the network.

If time allows Rob has also agreed to touch on DNS as well.

Throughout the day there will be hands on and such. It won't just be talk!
'
There is a small cost for the room and obviously Rob would like to be paid.
Therefore if we can get 15 people, the cost will be £100 per person, payable
on the day. This is an exceptional opportunity and i'd advise grabbing it
with both hands.

I need to know at the latest by tommorow confirmed names and numbers. Please
bear in mind also that should someone who says they will turn up, not turn
up, I personally will have to pay for their places!

Could someone also please forward this on to Liverpool LUG.

Let me know ASAP. To make this work we need a minimum of 15 people. (Well 14
if you consider I am going ;) )

Stuart