[Chester LUG] Fedora Getting Started resources

Ben Arnold iamseawolf at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 21:08:26 UTC 2010

Hi --

I've noticed Fedora's latest release attract a number of new users. I
imagine many folks are used to other distros so thought I'd share a
couple of links with good info that may help:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f13.html
 - general install guide, updated with each release
 - good media players / codecs section (attn: RPMFusion)

http://www.fedorafaq.org/
 - expanded basics but older
 - current release is F10 but applies pretty much straight off
 - decent history & troubleshooting

There's some quite useful third-party repositories. Each are added as
a text file in the /etc/yum.repos.d directory. This is often automated
by installing an RPM from the repo site; those will simply install the
sources text file and will automagically be enabled in Yum.

 -  RPMFusion
     -  contains propietary codes and extra software
     -  a lot of audio/video stuff
     -  http://rpmfusion.org/

 -  Livna
     -  merged with RPMFusion in 2008
     -  used for just *one* package RPMF didn't want
     -  http://rpm.livna.org/

 -  Sun (err, Oracle) VirtualBox
     -  also install 'dkms' to auto-build kernel module at start-up!
     -  save the following in /etc/yum/repos.d./  :
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/fedora/virtualbox.repo

 -  KDE unstable builds
     -  depends on RPMFusion
     -  if you want a beta version of KDE4
     -  save as /etc/yum.repos.d/kde.repo:
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/fedora/kde.repo

 -  Free-dora, a 100% Free Software Kernel
     -  contains no proprietary binaries, 100% free software
     -  save the example in /etc/yum.repos.d/freedora.repo:
http://www.fsfla.org/pipermail/linux-libre/2008-August/000089.html

 -  Adobe [Acrobat, Flash, other evil apps that have FS alternatives]
     -  http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
     -  select "YUM for Linux" option to download the RPM.

Note: There's a possibility that they may or may not be compatible
with each other, but I've had no problems in about three years.

Arguably the commonest use of these are for multimedia codecs. The
following command usually sorts it:

     sudo yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad* gstreamer-plugins-base \
gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly -x *devel *docs

This will install:
 - bad
 - bad-free
 - bad-free-extras