[Chester LUG] Anybody got a small basic notebook they want to sell on, or knows how to convert PhotoShop PSD files to something more manageable?

Ben Arnold benarnold at fsfe.org
Mon Oct 25 22:39:06 UTC 2010

Hi Rodger --

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:35:03 +0100, you (Roger) wrote:
|  Another question.  Is there an effective way to convert PhotoShop
| PSD files into a more manageable DTP system?  I've been given some
| brochures to update, and the previous author for some reason used
| Photoshop, (massive overkill) and I would like to turn them into a
| more user friendly format, and again Publisher is what folks use.  As
| long as MS effectively give away software to Charities, I'm on a
| loser trying to convince folks otherwise.

You mention PSDs but also DTP; yes, 'tool for the job' springs to mind!
On the PSD side, I should imagine GIMP would be your best shot, I
think it's one of the project's main aims being a image manipulation
program. You could then export to SVG for Inkscape to use, giving a
more DTP-friendly application. I've only experience here in cursing
Adobe Illustrator's 'unique' approach to the SVG standard...

Just a note that one of the guys at Wrexham LUG was dealing with some
Publisher files, I think to convert them into something a Linux program
would handle with objective to stay editing in Linux. Unless I've
gotten totally the wrong end of the stick, I'll forward it over (down?)
as that was a few months ago and may have progressed.

Cheers,
Ben

--
Ben Arnold
Chester, UK

e: ben at seawolfsanctuary.com @ benarnold at fsfe.org
w: seawolfsanctuary.com | linkedin.com/in/benarnold

nom = { :cookies => :mouth }
nom; nom; nom