[Chester LUG] Looking to learn a language

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 20:38:21 UTC 2011

On 04/04/2011 06:44 PM, Stuart Burns wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just thought I would drop an email to ask for some advice re:
> programming languages to learn. Now that I have time on my hands (at
> last) I am looking to learn  a language that can be used for both web
> development as well as locally on the PC. Ideally Object Orientated and
> beginner friendly (whilst appreciating that although I understand
> objects, I am very much raw at any level above that.) That would suggest
> Java but Java performance, from what I read is pretty lackluster.
>
> Oh and lastly, mainstream and RAD capable :)
>
> If anyone can think of an language that fulfill those criteria, i'm
> interested.

How about useful from the point of view of employability? Is that
important in the context, or not? There are some interesting languages
out there, but only a small number of them are used widely enough to
make it likely that you will find a job where you get a chance to use
it. That is of course, if that matters to you.

Also, is wide support, large body of documentation and varied library
support important? For me, that's another important factor when looking
at a language. If it has libraries available for all sorts of things,
from accessing esoteric hardware peripherals, to creating complex GUI's
- it means you can do more with it in more contexts on more platforms.

Just thinking out loud.

Sebastian