[Chester LUG] Looking to learn a language

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 12:41:47 UTC 2011

I'd certainly be interested meet/debate. Programming languages are one
of those cool things, where you are guaranteed to have eloquent debates
for hours and hours from all sides :D - as long as things don't get too
heated up.

I feel I must pitch some support for the good old C. I've been too
scared of it when in Uni - but finally managed enough courage to get
into it later on. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, I always
found Java really elegant, but when it comes to real desktop apps, the
result never looks that elegant - only the code.

However, I found C, somehow, really logical. It's hard to describe.
Also, there are libraries to access and do almost everything in C - on
pretty much any platform - including GUI toolkits for all major OS's.
Also, I think it is telling the fact that it has been around for such a
long time and it is still striving in its way.

Another bonus is that, for the first time, when programmers write on
forums about some Linux software or library "Just go and have a look at
the header files and you will figure it out" - I finally knew what they
meant. The ability to figure out a piece of software with basic
documentation, I felt, was quite something.

But then again, it's all very personal - and on top of that, although
you can write CGI scripts in C - it's not exactly the ideal way of doing
web programming.

I'll go away now, before I stoke this fire too much :-)

Sebastian