[Chester LUG] Liverpool LUG meeting with Sebastian Arcus collecting phone compatibility data - Wednesday 7th December 2011

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sat Dec 3 16:34:54 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, 7th December 2011, the Liverpool Linux User Group will
be meeting.  This month there is no talk as such, but Sebastian Arcus
will lead us in an effort to acquire data on the compatibility of
bluetooth-enabled mobile phones with the Asterisk free software PBX¹.

Of interest is the functionality of phones operating as a handset, a
phone line, and an SMS sender or receiver.  We will attempt to add as
many rows as possible to the table here:

  http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/chan_mobile

So says Sebastian,

  "What you need to do:

  1. Find, beg, borrow or, err, borrow as many different bluetooth
  enabled mobiles of any sort you can. We mainly need mobiles that
  either don't show on the wiki page above, or the ones which show
  with a question mark and can do with more testing. Even older models
  are important - as this application involves a phone sitting next to
  an Asterisk box and can be plugged into its charger permanently (old
  batteries are not a problem). So if a model proves to be
  particularly suitable - people will go on Ebay and source older
  models or re-use stuff lying around doing nothing.

  2. Bring the mobile with you - including a charger in case it is an
  older mobile which doesn't hold charge very well."

We will meet at the Liverpool Social Centre² at 7.00pm for a 7.30pm
start.  After the data collection efforts, we will venture to Studio 2³
for beverages and further discussion.

Liverpool Social Centre is next door to the News from Nowhere bookshop
on Bold Street⁴.  To access the centre, press the bell for the
basement on the left of the door and someone will come up and let you
in.

A reminder will be sent closer to the date.  See you there :-)

¹ http://www.asterisk.org/
² http://www.liverpoolsocialcentre.org/
³ http://www.parrstreet.co.uk/STUDIO2/Lounge%20Bar.htmhttp://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.402426&lon=-2.976481&zoom=18