[Chester LUG] Fwd: Upcoming Event - A Free Digital Society - A Talk by Richard Stallman, Free Software Foundation, 2nd March 2011, Preston

Rich Grant richgrant05 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 10:34:46 UTC 2011

The IET Lancashire and Cumbria Local Network would like to invite you
to the following event:

A Free Digital Society - A Talk by Richard Stallman, Free Software
Foundation - 2nd March 2011, University of Central Lancashire,
Preston.

Activities directed at "including" more people in the use of digital
technology are predicated on the assumption that such inclusion is
invariably a good thing.  It appears so, when judged solely by
immediate practical convenience.  However, if we also judge in terms
of human rights, whether digital inclusion is good or bad depends on
what kind of digital world we are to be included in.  If we wish to
work towards digital inclusion as a goal, it behooves us to make sure
it is the good kind.

The lecture will also cover hot topics, such as the impact of recent
projects such as Wikileaks, on the global digital world and wider
audiences.

Due to restrictions on accommodation size, registration for this event
is essential, please register online to attend.  The event is open to
all.

***   For more details and registration visit the IET Lancs & Cumbria
website page for this event at:
http://www.theiet.org/local/uk/northwest/lancs-cumbria/freedigitalsocietyMarch2011.cfm
  ***