[Chester LUG] WiFi Terror

Bryn Salisbury bryn.salisbury at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 21:37:14 UTC 2011

My experience with BTOpenzone and FON services is not overly positive. Any time I've tried to connect to such services, they dropped out or were so painfully slow that they were unusable.  When it comes to FON, it largely relies on deployment of home broadband systems in order to create something resembling a municipal wifi system, except that most of these routers are placed inside homes and have such poor ranges that they're just slightly to the left of useless.

Additionally, BT routers are being shipped now with FON enabled by default (you get the 'option' to disable it when you take out the contract, but I doubt most normal people even know or understand the significance of the option). Having seen and used several of these devices, I can't say I've even noticed anyone actually connecting via FON, or Openzone to routers under my control.

Saying that people who go with ISP provided routers get what they deserve is a bit harsh, a lot of people don't know why such devices aren't up to the job, and end up going for these options because they're far easier to set up. It's up to folks like us to design these devices (hardware and software) in such a way that it's a trivial matter to set them up, a single screen or a few button presses.

On a related note, I'm probably going to switch to AAISP in the next few months, as their routers are hand made, and seem to be rock solid.