[Chester LUG] BT WiFi routers

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 10:28:52 UTC 2011

Back to the topic of BT routers and BTOpenZone. I'm just in the process
of reconfiguring a 2Wire (second generation) BT router. First off, it
comes preconfigured with WEP for the regular wifi - but WPA-PSK for the
BTFusion part (which I think is used by their silly cordless wifi phones
- if I'm not mistaken). Go figure. The cordless phones need more
security then the regular business users with their laptops etc.

Secondly, I've changed to WPA-PSK the regular wifi, but when I tried to
change the LAN IP ranges - it restarted and jumped back to WEP.

I've also disabled BTOpenZone on this router (which, by the way, has a
tab in the configuration pages showing how many devices are connected at
this moment in time) - but after I restarted the router - was enabled
again! This router is heading straight for the bin I'm afraid.

Sebastian