[Chester LUG] BT WiFi routers

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 20:48:38 UTC 2011

In all fairness to BT - many (not all) routers that come free for ISP's
are fairly low quality.

One that springs to mind is the white, pyramid shaped one which Wanadoo
(and later Orange) use to send out to customers. Can't remember the
actual manufacturer - a fairly unknown brand - but what a crappy piece
of hardware! First off, they had this idea that you had to press a
button in order to allow new devices to connect to the router - kind of
like WPS, but their own proprietary implementation. Couldn't be disabled
- as far as I remembered. If you just came up to it expecting it to work
like a normal router and not reading fully the manual - you would spend
hours trying to connect to it with the right wifi password and it
wouldn't let you.

Then there was the online configuration pages. I've spent about 3 hours
one evening until I got to the bottom of it. The wifi password was on
one page - but the security settings (WPA, WEP, encryption type etc.)
were in a completely different section. It absolutely made no sense.
They actually used the same text input field type regardless of what
security settings were chosen - WEP or WPA - thus you had to input a WEP
style passphrase (both content and length) if you chose WEP *or* WPA. If
that is not shoddy interface design. I couldn't believe it when I
finally realised how it was programmed to work.

Sebastian