[Chester LUG] Hunt down ads for non-Free PDF readers on 13th August

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Tue Jul 26 11:45:03 UTC 2011

The Free Software Foundation Europe's successful PDF Readers campaign
comes to Manchester next month for a one day sprint at MadLab
hackerspace on the 13th of August, 15.00-17.30. Cakes and pizza provided!

*What:*

We'll search out proprietary PDF reader adverts on UK Government funded
websites, and contact the institutions by letter and email, requesting
that they remove them.

Currently there are only 41 reports of such adverts in the UK, only
three of which have already been resolved by the advert being removed.
Many more adverts on UK Government websites still exist however, and on
13th August we'll find them, and aim to get as many of them removed as
possible.

*Why:*

Publicly funded institutions routinely advertise proprietary PDF reader
applications on their websites, often stating that a particular vendor's
product is "required" for completing basic civic tasks like paying tax
or registering a vehicle.

Yet Free Software PDF Readers exist for all major operating systems,
which can be used to perform the same tasks without sacrificing the
freedom of their users.

Many institutions carry proprietary software adverts simply out of
ignorance, not realising that there are alternatives which protect
citizens' freedom. By contacting them we will be making them aware of
the existence of Free Software alternatives, and encouraging them to
think about the benefits of Free Software in general.

*Can it work?:*

Throughout Europe, Free Software advocates have already reported more
than 2,000 adverts, and successfully removed nearly 500 of them. Many of
the success stories involved high profile websites, such as the Belgian
Prime Minister, The Mayor of London, and the Bank of Italy. Several
adverts have been replaced with links to Free Software PDF Readers on
the pdfreaders.org website.

*Real progress has been made, now its time to make an impact in the UK!*

*Links:*

MadLad event page:
http://madlab.org.uk/content/stamp-out-the-ads-free-software-pdf-reader-
sprint/

Campaign homepage:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders

Report an advert from a UK website:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders/bug-report-uk.en.html

List of UK adverts already reported:
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/pdfreaders/buglist.en.html#GB

Website about Free Software PDF Readers:
http://pdfreaders.org/

See you there!

Sam.

--
Sam Tuke
British Team Coordinator
IM : samtuke at jabber.fsfe.org
Latest UK Free Software news: uk.fsfe.org
Is freedom important to you? Join the fellowship.fsfe.org