[Chester LUG] Fwd: Linux on the Desktop 16/03/2011

mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 10:32:03 UTC 2011

I have an ASUS901 and have been struggling (and failing) to get a proper Linux
OS loaded onto it.  If there is any chance of meeting someone with a suitable
OS on a USB stick (I've heard Mint is a good one for the ASUS) who could help
me, that would be great.

Mark

pritchard at gmail.com
>Date: 09/03/2011 18:09
>To: "chester"<chester at mailman.lug.
org.uk>
>Subj: [Chester LUG] Fwd: Linux on the Desktop 16/03/2011
>
>Hi all,
>

>The Linux event we're doing for the BCS is happening next week at Chester

>Uni. As I've mentioned before, I'd really like to have people bring along

>their laptops running Linux to demo the different desktop environments or
>any
useful apps you use. If you can come to the event and can bring a laptop

>please let me know so I can judge numbers.
>
>I'm hoping it will be a good
event as we have a good speaker!

----------
>From: BCS Chester & North Wales Branch <chestermem at lists.bcs.org.
uk>
chestermem at lists.bcs.org.uk

>Dear All
>
>19.00 for 19.30 - next Wednesday -
16/03/2011.

>City of Chester University - Binks building - 8 on the map: -

>http://www.chester.ac.uk/sites/files/chester/ApplicantDayBookletChesterCampusSat2011_pp16-16.pdf
>
>This is the modern building very close to the central parking area.
>

>Letting us know of your prior intention to attend would be appreciated
>though

>not essential.
>------
>
>Linux, a Unix derivative, is well known as a server
operating system. It is
>the
>most popular choice for Internet servers across
the world, critical server
>systems and is run on over 90% of the top 500
fastest super computers in the
>world. At the other end, Linux can be found
embedded in many of the day to
>day
>appliances we use, including eBook
readers, mobile phones, TVs and even
>cars.
>
>In between these two great
success stories, Linux has been evolving as a
>real
>competitor in the world of
desktop computing. Microsoft Windows is a clear
>market leader, but there is a
growing demand for usable, more secure
>operating
>systems.
>
>This talk will
look at how Linux has evolved as a desktop operating system
>and
>will give
several demonstrations of the look and feel provided by the latest

>distributions. It will show how you can use a fast, secure and completely

>customisable operating system for free!
>
>Speaker Profile
>
>Dan Lynch is a
broadcaster, journalist and web developer with a passion for
>Linux and Open
Source software; first encountering Linux while studying for
>Computer
Science degree at Chester University (then Chester College) in late