[Chester LUG] Fwd: Linux on the Desktop 16/03/2011

mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 16:06:13 UTC 2011

Hi Paul,

If memory serves, we've spoken about this issue before.  I've been
trying to plan a trip to Ellesmere Port, but other things kept getting in the
way.  However, someone else has said they'd be bringing a Linux-on-a-Stick next
Wed, so finger's crossed.

Mark

wilp4a at hotmail.co.uk
>Date: 10/03/2011 11:36
>To: <chester at mailman.lug.org.uk>

>Subj: Re: [Chester LUG] Fwd: Linux on the Desktop 16/03/2011
>

>Hey Mark.
>

>Unfortunately I can't make that one, but I can tell you that I loaded Linux
Mint LXDE (a lightweight version of Mint) on my mum's eeepc 900 last year and
had great success with it.  I installed it via a flash drive.

>Perhaps
someone could bring a stick with a copy?

chester at mailman.lug.org.uk
>> Subject: Re: [Chester LUG] Fwd: Linux on the
Desktop 16/03/2011

>> I have an ASUS901 and have been struggling (and
failing) to get a proper Linux
>> OS loaded onto it.  If there is any chance
of meeting someone with a suitable
>> OS on a USB stick (I've heard Mint is a
good one for the ASUS) who could help
>> me, that would be great.
>>
>> Mark

Chester

>> >Uni. As I've mentioned before, I'd really like to have people
bring along

>> >their laptops running Linux to demo the different desktop
environments or
>> >any
>> useful apps you use. If you can come to the event
and can bring a laptop

& North Wales Branch <chestermem at lists.bcs.org.
>> uk>
>> >Date: 9 March 2011
08:24
>> >Subject: Linux on the Desktop 16/03/2011
>> >To:
>> chestermem at lists.
bcs.org.uk

>> >Dear All
>> >
>> >19.00 for 19.30 - next Wednesday -

>> 16/03/2011.
>> >

>> >City of Chester University - Binks building - 8 on
the map: -

>> >http://www.chester.ac.uk/sites/files/chester/ApplicantDayBookletChesterCampusSat2011_pp16-16.pdf
>> >
>> >This is the modern building very close to the central parking area.

>> >Letting us know of your prior intention to attend would be
appreciated
>> >though
>>
>> >not essential.
>> >------
>> >
>> >Linux, a Unix
derivative, is well known as a server
>> operating system. It is
>> >the
>>
>most popular choice for Internet servers across
>> the world, critical server

>> >systems and is run on over 90% of the top 500
>> fastest super computers
in the
>> >world. At the other end, Linux can be found
>> embedded in many of
the day to
>> >day
>> >appliances we use, including eBook
>> readers, mobile
phones, TVs and even
>> >cars.
>> >
>> >In between these two great
>> success
stories, Linux has been evolving as a
>> >real
>> >competitor in the world of

>> desktop computing. Microsoft Windows is a clear
>> >market leader, but there
is a
>> growing demand for usable, more secure
>> >operating
>> >systems.
>> >

>> >This talk will
>> look at how Linux has evolved as a desktop operating
system
>> >and
>> >will give
>> several demonstrations of the look and feel
provided by the latest

>> >distributions. It will show how you can use a
fast, secure and completely

>> >customisable operating system for free!
>>

>> >Speaker Profile
>> >
>> >Dan Lynch is a
>> broadcaster, journalist and
web developer with a passion for
>> >Linux and Open
>> Source software; first
encountering Linux while studying for
>> >Computer
>> Science degree at
Chester University (then Chester College) in late
>> >2001.
>> >

>> >He has
co-hosted the weekly Linux Outlaws podcast to a large audience for
>> >the
>>

>> >last 3 years, meeting and interviewing many of the biggest names in the
Open

>> >Source world and attending regular industry events. He also co-
hosts FLOSS

>> >Weekly on the TWIT network, develops web sites with Drupal
(an Open Source

>> >Content Management System) and has written for many
Linux publications and

>> >websites. In addition, Dan organised a large
International Free Software

>> >event
>> >called Oggcamp10 in Liverpool in
2010.