[Chester LUG] Building a soundproof cupboard - Anyone done it ?

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:41:47 UTC 2011

Hiya everyone,

I have a cupboard (used to house hot water tank etc) that I use for my
servers. Great. Only problem is the sound. Let me elaborate:

I have

3!!! DL 385s, so 2 psu, 8 15K SCSI drives across them, 6 internal fans as
all machines are dual socket quad core.
1 * ML115 with 5 drives
I also have my el cheapo ISCSI storage network (5 disks).

In addition I have several other boxes

Now as you can imagine this gets loud, so loud that I usually have to shut
off the DL's at night because next door must be going bonkers with the
noise.

Anyone ever had this problem and how did it get resolved ?

I did think of sticking them in an outdoor shed, but figured that prolly
wasn't the best idea.

Regards

Stuart