[Chester LUG] Old desktop needed

Paul Williams wilp4a at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 17:15:07 UTC 2012

Hi guys...

Update time.

John gave me an old Time desktop that looked perfect.  It was in cracking nick and the motherboard looked brand new.  It booted to Ubuntu 12.04 (I have no idea how) despite only displaying 300ish MB RAM.

I got it home, pulled the graphics card and RAM from the old one, fitted them and tried to install Mint 13.  No joy.  It loaded up but couldn't handle the graphics.

So I went lighter and tried Mint 11.  Still no joy.  So I thought I'd just boot it to Ubuntu 12.04 since it was still on there.  It got as far as GRUB then refused to do anything.  It wouldn't even take keyboard commands.  So I tried another keyboard.  And different USB ports.  Nothing.

So I thought maybe my RAM had gone.  I decided to put the old RAM back in.  I turned on the power.  It flickered and made a horible burning smell.  I pulled the power immediately.

So now I have no desktop and possibly buggered hardware.  Still, at least I have keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Ah...

Ok.  So, if Thomas still has a motherboard up for grabs, I'd love to have it.  John said when he gets back off holiday he'll have a go at tackling the 2 machines and ton of hardware in the hopes of getting one working PC out of it all.

Cheers

Paul