[Chester LUG] Tech event

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 10:14:21 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your suggestions on technical talks, I think we've
got enough for a few of them now!

I like the idea of lightening talks, it's a great way for everyone to talk
about something without feeling pressured to put together a fancy
presentation. I'd really love the idea of a permanent location we could use
like the hackspaces. Some places work a subscription model that pays for a
location, I've also heard of some who've found a charity with a spare room.
In exchange for a bit of IT support, the group has been given the use of a
room. That's a nice idea as it also gives the group projects to do for the
charity, so keep a eye out for any needy charities with spare rooms!

Whilst I work on a date for the first tech talk, it's worth mentioning that
I've arranged an OpenStack event (with thanks to Michael Crilly) down in
Bangor for the 8th May. I know it's a bit of a drive, but if any of you are
interested in going 'cloud', then OpenStack is definitely the way to go.
It's an open standard and lets you move providers or even run your own
cloud easily.

The day will include an introduction to the technology, a demonstration of
how to set up your own private cloud for free and a technical deep dive.
The event is free and lunch is provided!

If you are interested, you can find out more and register at:
http://softwarealliancewales.com/?page=2013_05_08_openstack_cloud_computing_Bangor&lg=eng

Thanks

Les