[Chester LUG] LUG idea

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 11:35:37 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Thanks to those who attended the tech meet last night and especially to
Stuart for your talk.

After the discussions on the different distros I've been looking back at
what's around. Like many of us, the days of spending weeks trying out
different distros are long gone as I just need a system to work. However I
do sometimes wonder if I'm missing out on some great new distro.

So I've come up with a suggestion that I think we can all benefit from. I
found a good list of distros that not only includes the popular ones, but a
big list of alternatives. My idea is if we all pick a different distro to
try out and then at the next LUG meet we can all share our experiences.
This way we get an assessment of a lot more distros than if we all tried to
test them individually.

If you're interested in doing this (we don't need large in-depth reviews,
just whatever you can do), please take a look at the link below and email
the list saying which distro you'd like to try.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/best-linux-distro-five-we-recommend-1090058

I'm planning to take a look at Qubes OS.

Thanks

Les