[Chester LUG] OT - Linux Mint (or rather dual booting with Linux)

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 10:50:38 UTC 2013

Sorry for the stuff below. Slightly OT I'm afraid.

On 22/02/13 17:57, Roger Gibson wrote:
> I dual boot Windoze 7 with Ubuntu (updated through many versions)and
> have no problems with rwx access to Windoze partitions (same on my
> desktop, laptop and notebook).
>
> Although I use a separate ntfs partition for my 'data' files, so as  to
> facilitate reloading/changing loaded OS, (MS software support
> recommended to me reloading Windoze every 12 months to remove
> 'inevitable ongoing corruptions')

That's an interesting turn of phrase. Was that really one of the MS
support people - or a third party supporting MS products? Just curious,
as I might not like MS stuff myself - but even I don't have such a low
opinion of their software.

I can access Windoze partitions
> directly with no problems.
>
> Using Thunderbird, even IMAPed to gmail, both Ubuntu and Windoze 7
> happily work with the same profile sub-directory on my ntfs 'data'
> partition, ensuring these are up to date (and they run to about 10GB)
> whatever OS I am currently using, and can be used on or off line.  I
> also found SUSE triple booted in worked fine too.  The gmail IMAPing
> ensures I have transparent up to date total access to several years
> email history, address books etc on my NEXUS.

What are you using to keep the TB contacts in sync with Google's end? Is
it the "Google Contacts" add-on? If yes, how reliable do you find it?
I've been trying various contacts and calendar sync options over the
years with various back-ends - and I find it on larger number of items
(300-400 contacts, or over 2000 appointments) pretty much every system
starts to do weird things after few months - either breaking the sync or
randomly duplicating items.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Linux vehicle CCTV - www.open-t.co.uk/iroko