[Chester LUG] Chester Digest, Vol 271, Issue 7

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 15:00:41 UTC 2013

No sure about Mint or Ubuntu - but I didn't have much trouble installing
and dual-booting Slackware and Windows 7 on a UEFI machine. As others
say - secure boot (if available) should be disabled in BIOS. Also, don't
know what other variables the Mac side of things introduces into the
equation. When installing Linux, I booted of a live cd, mounted the UEFI
system partition, and dropped my kernel and boot loader (Elilo in my
case) manually in the right place. Then I've created an entry in Bios
for the Elilo loader.

Then again, maybe none of the above is applicable when installing on a
Mac. I know Ubuntu is using Grub2 - which in a sense is more capable -
but I have to say when trying to reconfigure it by hand on one of my
machines - seemed like a box of spanners compared to the old Grub. And
few other people on forums seemed to share the frustration.

Sebastian

Linux vehicle CCTV - www.open-t.co.uk/iroko