[Chester LUG] LUG social and future talks - your thoughts please

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 16:41:15 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm sure you don't need reminding as there have been a few emails about
this month's LUG social. But in case you've missed it, the next one is
tomorrow evening from 7.30 at the Rake & Pikel.
 I hope to see you all there.

Alongside the usual social meets, in the past we've had a few good evenings
of more formal talks. The problem stopping us holding more has always been
the venue. I've looked around several times and have managed to find some
fairly reasonable prices for room hire. However the concern has always been
the payment. I know that we generally get a good turnout for these events,
but if it's a quiet night, the few who turn up would end up having to fork
out a bit.

So one thought that has popped into my mind was to set up a small
subscription kitty of sorts. If regular members were to pay into something
we could book venues for talks with more confidence. Anyone else who comes
to the talks could put some money on the night. Obviously our socials would
still be free, but doing this would allow us to schedule more regular talks
or techie get your laptops out and do something style events.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter, would you be willing to put
in say £1/£2 a month? We could change that depending on how many people are
doing it and the cost of the venue.

Thanks

Les