[Chester LUG] printer driver problem

mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 16:50:05 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

Some years ago, in the upper room of the King's Head (I think it was)
some of you very kindly loaded Ubuntu onto my Asus EEE.  A year ago some other
friends updated it to 12.04 LTS.  However, last week I bought a Dell C1765nfw
LED printer.  I was able to load the supplied driver onto my wife's Windows
machine, but failed with my own.  (So, at least I can print via my wife's
machine.)

I found this site http://foo2hbpl.rkkda.com/and followed the instructions to
install foo2zjs.tar.gz and the icon has appeared in my printer list window.
However, when I try to print the printer screen shows the error message:

PJL
Request
016-749 Printer
Data Violation
Press (tick)

Looking at the
aforementioned site, I see that the Dell is not supported by foo2zjs.tar.gz so
I went to the link "Coffin's HBPL Version 1 driver".  Unfortunately, when I
tried to unpack that file in the Terminal screen I got the message:

gzip:
stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not
recoverable: exiting now

To be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing.
Has anyone out there got a Dell and successfully installed a driver?  Is there
a fix that even someone as clueless as I could fix, or will I have to beg
someone to come and visit me to sort it out?

Thanks
Mark Kuramoto-Headey

Broughton